With the advent of the novel coronavirus “COVID-19”, Eatmore Sprouts & Greens Ltd. has reviewed our standard and extended practices during this period.
To the best of our knowledge, COVID-19 spreads in a similar manner to the MERS-Coronavirus, which is to say by indirect surface transmission or direct transmission via water droplets from sneezing or coughing. It does not seem to spread directly through food (our products).
COVID-19 seems to be able to survive on Cardboard for up to 24 hours and on plastic or stainless steel surfaces for up to 72 hours.
In this regard, the three main ways of reducing risk are to prevent product being handled by symptomatic workers, regular hand decontamination, and ensuring work surfaces are clean.
As a responsible producer who works to a GFSI certified program, these activities are naturally covered by our Good Manufacturing Practices and Standard operating procedures for all staff on site at all times.
Remote working is not a viable solution for most, if not all of our workforce, however, to strengthen our approach during this time, Eatmore has taken some extra measures to do our best to minimize any potential spread for our staff, or our product. This includes:
- Refreshed hand washing training for all staff members on March 12, 2020.
- Daily briefings with staff in the mornings on good practices and updates on Coronavirus both locally and globally.
- Staff encouraged to self isolate with any COVID-19 symptoms displayed, or displayed by immediate family members.
- Staggering communal break times (coffee/lunch) to minimize the amount of workers sharing communal spaces at the same time.
- Spaced out work stations in our production facility to give our workers as much space (ideally greater than 6 feet) between each other.
- Encouraged direct customers to purchase from local grocery stores rather than come to our site.
- Discontinued participation in the local farmers’ market for the duration of the outbreak.
- Re-designing local deliveries to stores to reduce human to human contact.
- E-transfers instead of cash for local orders.
- No signatures required.
We will continue to monitor the situation closely, both within our facility, locally, and globally, for new information and regulations.
Thank you for your time.
The Management Team,
Eatmore Sprouts & Greens Ltd.